Donnerstag, 15. April 2010

Interview with Shawn Soole

Personal information:
Shawn Soole, 13 years in the bartending business. Executive Bar Keep at Clive’s Classic Lounge in the Chateau Victoria in Victoria, BC. Freelance writer, bar tool designer and Cocktail Compeition MC and Judge.



How did you get started collecting?
My wife bought me a silver cocktail shaker a few years back from my birthday. A couple of months ago, I started seriously collecting and now am a little addicted.

How many shakers do you have and how do you store them?
About 30 shakers and 7 or so Soda Siphons. I have them on display in my dining room, they are starting to take over that area.




Which is the oldest and which did you buy last?
I have a few Norwegian Pewter from the turn of the century and I love the 1934 Chicago’s World Fair shaker. The last one I bought was a 1960’s Thirst Extinguisher, my wife says I have to slow down because I seem to buy a new one every week. Victoria is rife with antique stores.


Which is your favorite shaker and why? And do you have one with a personal story?

My second shaker is probably my favorite shaker, it’s a 1910’s Galatoff Pewter Shaker, I bought it for $14 and its worth alo tmore than that. Apparently there is no record of Galatoff making shakers so that’s kind of cool. My second favorite is my new one, the Thirst Extinguisher; it plays a song from a wind up music box in the base when you pick it up.

Is there still a cocktail shaker or bar item you have heard about but never seen? Something like the Holy Grail of Shakers?
The sacred Bell shaker and I do love the Gun Catridge style that I know Sven Alleming has. I have bidded on a few hard to find ones in the past online but never have been lucky enough to get it in the end.

What do you think about modern bar design; i.e.; the Flip Top shaker by Metrokane?

I always say “if its not broken, don’t fix it”. Boston, Cobblers and Parisan are all you need behind the bar. Don’t fool with perfection.




Do you think reproducing vintage shakers is a good idea?
Absolutely. Being able to get some reproductions to use behind the bar is a dream come true especially with the cocktail renaissance still going in full force.

What are your future projects and plans.
Really focusing on Clive’s, between our Spirited Weekends and running the beverage program, it is a full time job. I am still going to be writing for the magazines I write for now and otherwise just enjoy being behind the bar for as long as possible.

Can you tell us a few homepages where we can find further information about shakers and bar ware?
Cocktailshakers.com is my go to website. But if you buy a new shaker then google the brand on the bottom of the shaker and go from there.

Keine Kommentare: