Montag, 16. Februar 2009

Interview with Gary Graham Part 2

Is there still a cocktail shaker or bar item you have heard about but never seen? Something like the Holy Grail of Shakers?

For all cocktail shaker collectors there is the never seen but much anticipated discovery of a cobalt lady’s leg cocktail shaker. If I should ever find or see one, I hope I have all my medications available. It will be a shocking surprise.


What do you think about modern bar design; ie; the Flip Top shaker by Metrokane?

I monitor modern designs only with casual interest.
I have purchased all the Restoration Hardware reproduction cocktail shakers including their airplane shaker.


Do you think reproducing vintage shakers is a good idea?

I think it’s a good idea as long as they are clearly recognized as reproductions. For the majority of collectors, the only way we will be able to represent the Wallace Brothers Rooster, the Zeppelins, the Airplanes, the Lighthouses, and other very rare cocktail shakers in our collections will be through the reproductions. Since these original shakers are so rare and often held in permanent collections, they are almost impossible to find.

What are your future projects and plans.

I plan to keep my website (www.thejazzage.com) active and interesting to cocktail shaker collectors. I will always be a buyer for cocktail shakers that are rare, interesting or that fill spots in my own collection. And, I’m always pleased when people who are not collectors enjoy buying vintage cocktail shakers as gifts for friends and family. And, of course, we plan on attending the Tales of the Cocktail Conference in New Orleans in July, 2009.


Can you tell us a few homepages where we can find further information about shakers and bar ware?
In Port Hope, Ontario, Canada, I like
http://www.decollect.com/page/page/229491.htm
John Freedman has a nice website with cocktail items:
http://trocadero.com/contempo/


Photo Caption

Gary & Joy Graham (a few years ago) celebrating New Year’s Eve in Istanbul.
The cocktail was a “First Lady”. This cocktail won the city-wide new cocktail recipe competition and was named for then Turkish Prime Minister Tansu Çiller.
The recipe:
4 cl Gin
1.5 cl Mandarin Liqueur
1 cl Casis
1 cl Archers
8 cl Orange Juice

Keine Kommentare: