Montag, 16. März 2009

Interview with Jim Walker Part 1


How did you get started collecting?
I started my collection of cocktail shakers and bar ware in 1995. “I just wanted a cocktail shaker to make my own Dirty Martins”. I asked a friend and antique dealer if she could find me one. She invited me over to see her art deco collection of shakers and It was all over. She had a dozen or so Art Deco shakers and I was amazed at the styles and shapes. I asked her were did you get these? She said have you ever heard of eBay? That is were the passion began.

How many shakers do you have and how do you store them?

My collection started with recipe cocktail shakers and soon expanded to all forms of shakers and bar ware. Now with over 500 shakers, 100+ martini glasses, and hundreds of pieces of bar ware, “there is not a flat surface in my house that does not have a cocktail shaker or piece of bar ware on it”. Yes even the bathrooms.


Which is the oldest and which did you buy last?
I really don’t know what my oldest shaker is. I have one that that is in really bad condition that may be from the 1920s. A good number of my shakers are from the 1930s & 1940s. Jim added, that this is his oldest shaker (patent). The other one is his first shaker



The last shaker I bought is a guilt Barman Shaker made by Ghiso in France. It was made in the early 1930s, during Prohibition, for export to Argentina.


Which is your favourite shaker and why? And do you have one with a personal story?
That is almost like asking a parent, “Who is favourite child is?” Out of hundreds of shakers I dozens of favourites but off the top of head I can say I love my Heisey Glass Horse Head shaker. I also really do enjoy the figural shakers. They are unique in form and a whole lot of fun. Also I can not forget the Art Deco shakers. I do love Deco.

Keine Kommentare: